Ahhhh.....pine, that squeaky clean scent of all things clean.
Haling scientifically from the genus "Pinus", pine has been revered for it cleansing ability for years. The father of western medicine, Hippocrates adored pine for it's respiratory healing properties. Native Americans used pine needles to ward off bed bugs and lice.
Pine essential oils are obtained by extracting the precious oils from the needles. They contain high levels of "phenols" which help fight germs and diseases. Lesser know, it is similar to Eucalyptus and Tea Tree oils in these properties, believe it or not. Pine essential oil makes an excellent addition to your home medicine cabinet as well as your cleaning supplies.
So, without further ado, let's examine some amazing benefits of pine essential oils.
1) Reduces Redness and Swelling: Pine essential oil can provide much needed relief to those struggling with joint pain, stiffness and discomfort as well as muscle aches and pains. Add a few drops to bath water or use in massage oil.
2) Anti-Viral: Pine essential oil can help fight off the common cold or flu. Add 1-2 drops of pine essential oil to tea or hot water.
3) Expectorant: Pine oil can also help break up congestion and phlegm. To take advantage of this benefit, either smell pine essential oil directly from the jar, add a few drops to your diffuser or, combine a few drop with some coconut oil and rub on the chest as you would a vapor rub.
4) Skin Care: This is a bit of a broad topic however, pine essential oil can help with everything from eczema, acne, athletes foot, itching and psoriasis when applied topically.
5) Antioxidant: Pine essential oil neutralizes free-redials thus helping to slow the aging process. It also offers protection against eye degeneration, muscle degeneration and nervous system disorders.
6) Headache Reliever: Rub pine essential oil onto your temples and chest when a headache strikes or smell the vapors directly from the bottle for quick relief. You could also add a few drops to your clothes after they have been washed and before you put them in the dryer as a fabric scent to help keep away headaches - or, just to smell like a tree, if that's what you want!.
As you can see, pine essential oil is an incredibly versatile oil with many health benefits. It should be noted that when using pine essential oil, it should almost always be diluted because of its strength. Some people may experience an allergic reaction to pine oil and so, it is a good idea to consult a physician prior to using and testing out the pine oil on a small area of skin first to determine your reactivity to it.
At Green Theory we love pine essential so much, we include it in two of our natural, probiotic deodorants, BioHazard (Men's Daily Wear) and Pine which, makes an awesome outdoor recreation or hunting deodorant.